Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Your point-and-shoot digital camera ...

IS your video camera! Virtually every decent quality point-and-shoot digital camera features the capability to record both still photos and motion pictures (video). Many smartphones -- including my Apple iPhone 3GS -- feature both a built-in still camera and video camera. So why carry two- or more gadgets? The video quality is admittedly not as good as you would get using a dedicated video camera, but hey, something is better than nothing.

I used my iPhone 3GS to shoot the following short video clips of the Mount Vernon Farmers Market; both clips show the booth of Westmoreland Berry Farm and Orchard. The first video shows farm manager Chuck Geyer (left) talking with Gil McCutcheon (right), long-time volunteer Market Master of the Mount Vernon Farmers Market, then pans left to show the bustling activity at the booth.

WBS_IMG_0527.MOV (9.86 MB) (2.17 MB)

Chuck and Gil (shown left-to-right) talking business.

WBS_IMG_0528.MOV (3.23 MB) (730 KB)

Alma and Pierson (shown front-to-back) working checkout.

Tech Tips: How did I do it? I used the built-in video camera on my Apple iPhone 3GS to shoot the video clips. I uploaded the video clips to my desktop computer by syncing the iPhone with "iTunes" and "Image Capture" (Mac). Next, I signed in to YouTube, clicked "Upload" (located in the menu bar at the top of the screen), and followed the on-screen instructions. I copied the HTML shown under "Sharing options/Embed" and pasted it into this blog post (using "Edit HTML"). Note: Video quality will be MUCH BETTER when videos are viewed on mobile devices using a Wi-Fi network connection rather than a cellular network connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited and wlecome.