Tuesday, April 12, 2011

iBlogger 2 app

OK, I admit I'm a sucker for apps like iBlogger 2 that promise "advanced mobile photo blogging." Don't be suckered like me -- iBlogger 2 wasn't worth its introductory sale price of $4.99, and definitely isn't worth its current retail price of $9.99! At best, iBlogger 2 enables limited resizing- and scaling of photos, limit one photo per blog post; at worst, the results are unpredictable. Would you call that "advanced mobile photo blogging?" I wouldn't.

As a quick and dirty test of iBlogger 2, I created a blog post on one of my blogs. The post featured a screen capture of the Apple iPhone "Compass" app. (The original image is 480 H x 320 W pixels, the standard screen resolution of an iPhone 3GS.) I selected the options for center alignment and a full-size "thumbnail." iBlogger 2 resized the image to ~320 H x 320 W pixels, and cropped off part of the original image; the resized image isn't centered on the post. See what I mean by unpredicatable results? Not good!

Here's how iBlogger 2 should work: If I select an image thumbnail size of "Full," then the result should be a full-size version of the original image, scaled to preserve the aspect ratio of the original image (if necessary). Needless to say, if I select "Center" then the image should be centered; any other position is unacceptable.

Text editing is limited in iBlogger 2 as well. Conspicuously missing are options for entering bold- and italic text. Photo captions appear more like section headers in the body of a post rather than photo captions. There is no option to enter new categories.

My first and lasting impression: iBlogger 2 is a BIG waste of money! Save $10 and go with another FREE photoblogging app such as the Posterous Mobile apps -- you'll be much more satisfied with the results.

Editor's Note: In the interest of fairly evaluating iBlogger 2, I re-tested the app and posted the results on the same blog. The results of Test 2 were no better than the first test. I give the app a rating of 0 out of 5 stars: "iBlogger 2" app is a dog and the dog won't hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are invited and wlecome.